Thursday, October 21, 2010

Taquitos!!

So...I cook for a very very very picky eater.  My wonderful, hunky and charming husband Troy.  There isn't much he will eat, so I am always searching for new and tasty things to make.  Through my "travels" on the internet, I found many awesome blogs.  One I found called For the Love of Cooking, is one of my faves!  Pam has some really great recipes on there and easy to follow instructions!  This particular one that I tried is called Ground Beef, Black Bean and Cheddar Cheese Taquitos.  Well...the hubby doesn't like beans (of any sort) and I didn't have all the spices required (being the rookie that I am...I buy the pre-mixed Taco Seasoning), so I improvised and made it my way.

Kitty's Picky Taquitos
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef (I used Laura's Lean)
  • 1 packet of Taco Seasoning
  • 1/2 of one large sweet onion
  • 2 tbs of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 10 corn tortillas
  • Pam Cooking Spray (any kind is fine...I used Regular AND Olive Oil)
  • 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese 

Preheat your oven to 425* (not sure how to type the degrees symbol...if someone knows...HELP!)

So, start by heating the pan on medium heat and add the Olive Oyl Oil (ah geh geh geh).  Sorry...I am goofy... Once the oil is thin and moving easily around the pan, add your beef.  Brown the beef about half way, then add the packet of taco seasoning. Stir this up good!  While the meat and the seasonings are getting friendly..dice the onion very small (I have not yet mastered this technique, so I cheat and use a Vidalia Chop Wizard...that thing is my best friend), then add to the beef.  Stir this up until all is mixed together.  Turn the heat down a little and stir a little here and there until the beef is good and browned.  Turn off the heat and set aside.

Now its tortilla time!  Spray a cookie sheet liberally with the cooking spray and set aside.  Take your corn tortillas and wrap them in damp paper towels and heat in the microwave for 1 minute.  Then take each tortilla and put a little cheese and a little beef in the center.  Carefully wrap one side over the other and place seam side down on the cookie sheet.  Repeat this with all the tortillas.  Once all the taquitos are wrapped and on the cookie sheet, spray each one with more cooking spray.  I go pretty liberal with this...they get crunchier that way :o)

Place the cookie sheet in the oven for 5-8 minutes (the longer the crunchier).  Once the time is up, flip them over with tongs and place back in the oven for another 5-8 minutes.  Then your done! 

I serve this with spanish rice (Zatarain's...its awesome!  But maybe I will make homemade...someday).


Here are how mine turned out :)
This probably sounds pretty plain to some, but like I said before...I am cooking for the pickiest eater...ever!  Please click on the link to the original recipe and try it out!  I would have never thought of making these like this before reading Pam's blog.  This meal is one of our regulars now.  My husband and I both LOVE it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know whatchya thinkin'!